Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Oh the smell...that Thanksgiving and Christmas cheer

It's that time of year again. The Holidays are upon us. The time of the year when people lose their minds. Yes, I said it. The Holidays make people crazy. With the last minute shopping trips, stressing over what color tinsel to put on the Christmas tree, and spending money on all kinds of crazy (beyond normal, everyday crazy) instead of paying bills.

Okay, so I understand. I love this time of year, especially when it means I can burn my Apple Cinnamon and Cranberry Delight/Everlasting Pine candles all day long. I love the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I hear Christmas music the day after Halloween (I'm not judging! I started listening to Christmas music last week.). But, folks we can not forget our priorities. Family. I'll say it one more time: Family. The whole point of the Holiday Season is to share that time with the people you love. You cook delicious meals so the people in your life can gather and enjoy each other's company.

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on what you are truly thankful for. It goes back to giving thanks for a successful fall harvest. Let yourself be thankful for your harvest.

Christmas is a time of year to celebrate our faith (in whatever form that may be) and to refocus on what we believe in. I was raised Roman Catholic and my favorite mass to go to was Midnight Mass (Christmas Eve). The church was lit by candle light and it was magical. I listened to every word, sang every song, socked everything in, and listened. Really listened. So many times, we forget that Christmas is not just about gifts. It is in short (and in my opinion) about celebrating family, winter, making it through another year, and faith - in ourselves, our family, our future, and our God. Sure, I give gifts and enjoy receiving them. But I don't knock other people over to get the last Teddy Ruxpin (oh, Teddy, how I wanted one of you to call my own). And I don't complain about the gifts I get (sure, I may re-gift, but that's different...).

So please, do not get bogged down in the craziness of The Holiday Season, no matter what you celebrate . We have enough crazies out there, we don't need anymore.

Oh, and for a great holiday gift idea, take a look at this. Or this (All kinds of great ideas through out).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To add to your shopping comment...

The Wrentham Outlet in Wrentham, MA had fist fights in the parking lot at the midnight sale on Black Friday.

Fist fights. The end.